Wednesday, January 23, 2008

tupperware-o-supplies

i could really use my dental floss – i ran out last week. and i would buy more, except that i’ve already bought some, but it’s packed away neatly in my tupperware-o-supplies sitting inside my backpack waiting to be opened on my first night in the gambia. ridiculous, i know. it’s a bit like getting school supplies at the end of august but not wanting to ruin them before the first day of school in september. so instead, you look at them, and reorganize them, and play with them (though not enough to bend the edges or break the tips or wear down the erasers). or maybe this was just what i did. i was kind of a neurotic kid like that.

truth be told, i’m a little nervous i might get stopped by customs and immigration in banjul demanding my tupperware-o-supplies and asking to know whether i am part of some sort of covert drug smuggling operation or whether i intend to open my own veritable pharmacy in their tiny country. i think i went a bit overboard in walmart before i left. i have tylenol (anticipating caffeine headaches as they don’t do coffee there, i’m told); doxycyclin (for malaria); multivitamins (which i must remember not to take at the same time as my malaria pills lest i negate their effectiveness); antibiotics for when the local cuisine doesn’t agree with me; chewable tablets for when i don’t agree with it; rehydration salts for when we’ve finished disagreeing and need to get back to normal; cold medicine in case i get the chills in the 90 degree weather; calamine lotion (for the bug bites); antiseptic wash and facial wipes (my daily ‘showers?’); eye drops (eye drops??); sunscreen for life near the equator; after sun lotion for the evenings when i’m radiating heat; one of every kind of bandage available to a hiker (there was no ‘going to africa’ first aid kit sold at REI so i had to make do and masquerade as a hiker); medical scissors and tape; feminine products; and from my source, a few ambien for the times when none of the above will do.

don’t ask me WHY i have all this. and say a little prayer that the customs officials don’t ask either. or maybe, save those prayers for me not having to USE most of it! (apart from the malaria pills which are required daily). but you can’t say i’m not prepared!

in fact, you might be surprised that i have any room at all left in my backpack. i’m hardly taking many clothes. hoping that fashion sense isn’t something i’m going to have to worry about while i’m there, and that no one will notice that i’ve worn the same skirt five days in a row. (if only i don’t spill when attempting to eat with my right hand only, i think i can get away with this). but heck, i haven’t worried about my fashion sense since i left london, why start now? though i’m told i can get a tailor to make me an outfit in town for less than $10! i am SO going to do that.

i’ve got a bag full of books and school supplies as well – thinking that will come in more handy than the extra clothes, and pretty certain the kids will think so too! pencils, crayons, construction paper, books and flashcards. i’ve ordered a few books on ‘jolly phonics’ from amazon to take which is apparently the system of learning that the previous volunteer begun with the children. if anyone has heard of this or knows of tips on teaching this style – please do share!

i’m also taking a small 4x6 photobook with pictures of everyone i love and my feather pillow from home. i am a creature of comfort, afterall. i doubt that will change in the gambia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you!